Gulfport is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, bordering St. Petersburg and Boca Ciega Bay. The population of Gulfport was 12,029 at the 2010 census. Gulfport is part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area, the 19th largest MSA in the country. The town was originally named Disston City in 1884 when Hamilton Disston purchased land here. The United States Postal Service would not recognize the name as it conflicted with a town in Hillsborough County.