Thomson, incorporated February 15, 1854, is a city in McDuffie County, Georgia, United States. The population was 6,828 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of McDuffie County. Thomson's nickname is "The Camellia City of the South", in honor of the thousands of camellia plants throughout the city. It is part of the Augusta – Richmond County Metropolitan Statistical Area. This city was once entirely owned by plantation owner John Langston.