Lakeland is a city in Lanier County, Georgia, United States. The city is the county seat of Lanier County. It is part of the Valdosta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,730 at the 2000 census. Originally called Milltown, Lakeland received its current name in 1925 in honor of its proximity to several lakes including Grand Bay Lake, Lake Erma, and Banks Lake. For many years, Lakeland owned and operated its own railroad.