Spring Lake is a village in Ottawa County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,514 at the 2000 census. The village is located within Spring Lake Township. After Captain Benjamin Hopkins purchased land here in 1837 and built a mill, the place became known as "Hopkins Mill". In 1849, Thomas W. White and S.C. Hopkins recorded a plat with the name "Mill Point". A post office was established with that name in May 1851.