Carson City is a city in Montcalm County of the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 1,191. Carson City was first platted in 1866 on land owned by R. M. Abbott, Delia Miner, and Hiram T. Sherman and recorded in 1871. The first lot was sold to Thomas Scott and two nephews, John and Thomas LaDue in 1867. With the corporate name Scott & LaDue, they built a sawmill in 1868 and a grist mill in 1870.