Taylor is a borough in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States, four miles (six km) southwest of Scranton on the Lackawanna River. It was founded in 1790 by Cornelius Atherton. Silk manufacturing and coal mining were once practiced in the borough. Most of Taylor is over abandoned mines. In 1900, 4,215 people lived in Taylor; in 1910, 9,060; and in 1940, 9,002 people resided in the borough. The population at the 2010 census was 6,263.