Shippensburg is a borough in Cumberland and Franklin counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Settled in 1730, Shippensburg lies in the Cumberland Valley, 41 miles (66 km) west-southwest of Harrisburg, and is part of the Harrisburg–Carlisle Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1900, 3,228 people lived there; in 1910, 3,457; and in 1940, 5,244 people lived there. The population was 5,586 at the 2000 census. Shippensburg was incorporated as a borough on January 21, 1819.